If you’re struggling with teaching self care for kids, you might learn something by watching what your kids do. As a family doctor in virginia beach va I often see parents struggle with self care for kids. Even if they refuse to eat Brussel sprouts, they know important facts about how to keep our bodies and minds in top shape. This may seem odd, but I find that I have learned the most from kiddos as a family doctor virginia beach va.
As adults, we sometimes neglect ourselves because we’re overwhelmed by responsibilities or feel like we don’t deserve to be treated with kindness.We often get into a pattern of doing, doing, doing an forget about ourselves.As a family doctor virginia beach we advise on how to manage your time, your energy, and your children. See how children can remind you to make yourself a priority.
- Play games. Self-care offers serious benefits, but the process can be light-hearted. Turn your work into a game and plan fun activities for your leisure time. As a family doctor virginia beach va, I often use play therapy in my practice. Children bring in toys to review how they perceive themselves as well as their family. This is a fun and non invasive way that we can learn about ourselves.
- Enjoy food. You’re more likely to stick to a healthy diet if you like what you’re eating. Think of food as your friend instead of something that sticks to your hips. As a family doctor virginia beach va, we often discuss the role of diet and nutrition. We educate you on your lifestyle and the impact of that lifestyle. The food that you are eating, and why you are eating. Although food is to enjoy, we also want to balance nutrition.
- Sing and dance. Music relieves stress and makes tedious tasks more pleasant. Create a playlist for routine paperwork and household chores. Sing in the shower, so you can start each day with more energy. Dancing around the house can not only be fun, it can also be excellent stress relief and calorie burner.
- Tell a joke. Give yourself a reason to laugh. Tell a funny story to your family or friends. Watch cartoons and cat videos. Look for humor in challenging situations. As a family doctor virginia beach, I am often managing challenging cases. People wanting things to get better instantly, health does not work that way, so I tend to use humor to make things light and easy.
- Go barefoot. Do your feet ache by the end of the day? Going barefoot feels liberating and strengthens your muscles. Remove your shoes as often as possible. Treat yourself to a pedicure and foot massage. As a family doctor virginia beach va, I recommend going barefoot, especially at the beach to connect with the positive ions as well as nature which can have a calming effect on the body.
- Try new things. What would happen if we gave up because we fell down the first few times that we tried to walk? Give yourself credit for trying and value learning from experience. Children are always open to trying new things and are not afraid to fail. As adults, at times we lose that capacity, especially if we have failed at times with certain experiences. As a family doctor virginia beach, I often will review the impact of these failures at what it has created on the psyche.
- Make friends. Schedule your own playdates. Invite a recently hired colleague out for lunch. Introduce yourself to another student in your barre class. Especially, in the age of COVID it is important to continue to socially engage with people. Engage with friends and continue with meaningful relationships, while at the same time cutting those relationships that are draining and not working for you.
- Speak up. Let others know what you really think. Have deep conversations with your loved ones and contribute to business meetings. People cannot read your minds, as a family doctor virginia beach va, my job is to listen to a persons needs. Sometimes the communication is so blocked that they are not able to fully express their needs to the person who is tasked with helping them. It can be confronting to begin to open up and communicate your needs and ants with someone.
- Be creative. Experiment with different art forms. You may rediscover your love for finger painting or move on to metal crafting. Maybe you’ll prefer writing a novel or performing stand-up comedy. Creativity helps to release tension stored within the body. It allows you to be free and enjoy yourself. Try to incorporate some creativity into your daily routine to use a different part of your brain.
- Express enthusiasm. Do you feel awkward about showing your appreciation? Brighten someone’s day by paying them a sincere compliment. Give yourself a round of applause for cleaning out the garage or throwing a dinner party. As a family doctor virginia beach va, it is part of my role to be your cheerleader. This means that I will encourage you, motivate you, and push you along in the process of getting well.
Other Things Your Kids Can Teach You About Self Care:
- Stay active. If you’re trying to push yourself to exercise, think about how children keep moving throughout the day. Working out will get easier if you make it a regular habit. Physical exercise is a quality part of anyone’s healthcare routine. I encourage a minimum of 30 mins of physical activity daily.
- Say no. A toddler’s favorite word can help you to honor your limits. Set boundaries and enforce them. Let others know how you expect to be treated. Turn down projects that would interfere with pursuing your main goals. Setting boundaries is key to establishing the health of a person. As a family doctor virginia beach, I encourage people to learn how to set healthy boundaries.
- Ask for help. You can accomplish more when you’re willing to accept assistance from others. Encourage teamwork at the office. Tell your family and friends what kind of support you need to manage health conditions or recover from a breakup. It is important to recognize that no one is superwoman. Yet often times we think we have to be superwoman, being all things to all people and juggling all things at all times. This simply is not healthy, and we do not need to do that. Sometimes it may be challenging as a family doctor virginia beach va to assist people because they are often used to doing things themselves. Allowing someone to help you truly takes growth and vulnerability.
- Take breaks. Adults need recess too. Use your vacation days and pause between tasks. Allowing yourself adequate downtime reduces stress and increases your productivity. Even taking an afternoon off, taking a power nap after work, etc can be helpful to restore your sanity. Allow yourself this time and space. It is not only healthy for you but it also helps to stabilize the person and keep them progressing forward. As a family doctor virginia beach, I encourage you to take breaks and take it easy without having to feel guilt and shame about it.
- Share your toys. Serving others is one of the most effective ways to enhance your happiness and wellbeing. Use your strengths and resources generously. Volunteer in your community and donate to worthy causes. Feed birds, pick up litter, and help your neighbors with yard work. Giving back, sharing, and contributing to life is super helpful not only for you but also your community as well.
Children may lose their socks, but they usually remember to take care of themselves. Allocating some regular me time in your busy schedule will help you to feel more connected to yourself and others. At holistic family practice, our practice is designed to help you to heal and get well. We do this through step by step lifestyle supportive changes. Lets help teach self care for kids together.